Friday 4 April 2014

Variety the spice of life for Jill

Our graduates are equipped to pursue careers across numerous disciplines throughout the Physiotherapy and Sports Therapy industries.

Since graduating Jill Alexander has worked in variety of sports including rugby, football and athletics.

She recently shared her experiences with current undergraduates at the UCLan Sports Therapy Alumni Day.

"During my degree I did loads of volunteering in order to gain as much 'pitchside experience' as possible. In my final year I did my dissertation looking at cryotherapy in sport and ended up applying for a summer internship as a research assistant at UCLan.

"I subsequently completed a Master's by Research, looking at athletic taping on the asymmetric postures of female equine riders during sitting trot. It's a flexible area of study, as you can do full-time or part-time supported by outside work. I didn't really want to go down the Physiotherapy route on a full-time basis as I wanted to do something which hadn't been done before.

"I'm now employed as a clinical researcher for the Allied Health Professions Research Unit within SSTO. I also work for Wharfedale RUFC and have my own business where I look after different types of runners and dancers. I see about 15 clients per week and this allows me time to focus on my research work which I find so rewarding."

In conjunction with Professor James Selfe, Karen May and Dr Sarah Hobbs, Jill has also helped to establish links between UCLan and Myerscough College in the field of equine research, and recently coordinated a landmark cryotherapy study with Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club.

1 comment:

  1. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.
    physiotherapy Sunshine Coast

    ReplyDelete